The Xtool D1 Pro 10W is an entry-level desktop CO2 laser engraver and cutter that can engrave materials like wood, acrylic, leather, paper, and more. With its 10 watt laser tube, the D1 Pro is capable of cutting through materials up to 4mm thick. For amateurs, small company owners, and educators seeking for an economical equipment to start using lasers for engraving and cutting, this engraver is a great option.
Unboxing and Setup
When you first receive your Xtool D1 Pro, carefully inspect the packaging for any visible damage. Once unpacked, make sure all accessories and components are accounted for – you should have the laser engraver unit, exhaust fan, power cords, water pump, USB cable, hex wrench sets, and user manual.
Finding a suitable location to set up the laser is an important first step. The engraver should be placed on a stable, flat surface away from any flammable materials. Make sure there is adequate space around the unit for ventilation and to open the top lid.
Attach the exhaust fan to the rear exhaust port to remove smoke and fumes generated during laser operation. The exhaust fan is essential for safe operation and should always be running when the laser is in use. Make sure the fan is oriented to blow air out of the machine.
Connect the water pump accessory to provide cooling water flow to the laser tube. This step helps prevent overheating and extends the life of the laser tube. Route the water tubes so that water flows from the pump into the engraver’s water inlet and back out to the pump.
Use the provided power cords to connect the laser engraver, exhaust fan, and water pump to grounded electrical outlets. The components should be plugged into separate outlets to avoid overloading a single circuit.
Finally, connect the engraver to your computer using the included USB cable. Install the driver software and Xtool Creative Space engraving software, following the directions in the user manual. Once setup is complete, you are ready to start engraving and cutting!
Loading and Positioning Material
The D1 Pro has an adjustable table that can accommodate materials up to 40x30cm in size. Larger pieces can be engraved by repositioning the material.
To load material like wood or acrylic, first open the top lid of the laser. Place the material flat on the table and use the rulers along the x- and y-axes to position the piece. The rulers allow you to align your design to print in the desired location.
Secure thin materials to the table using masking tape or magnets on each corner. This prevents shifting during operation. Avoid covering the rulers and beam path with tape.
For thicker pieces, use the allen wrench to adjust the table height. The material should be just below the tip of the laser for optimal focus. Lower the table as needed to accommodate thicker materials.
Close the lid once the material is loaded and properly positioned. The engraver has an interlock switch that prevents operation with the lid open.
Xtool D1 Pro 10W Software Setup
Before starting your first engraving or cutting job, there are a few software settings to adjust for optimal results:
- Select device – Confirm the Xtool D1 Pro is selected as the output device in the Creative Space software. This ensures the design is formatted properly for your engraver model.
- Material settings – Choose the appropriate material profile for your material type and thickness. The software includes recommended settings for materials like wood, acrylic, leather, and more.
- Focal length – On the D1 Pro, adjust the focal length setting to 35mm. This focuses the beam properly for the laser’s installed lens.
- Image DPI – For raster engraving, set the image DPI between 200-500 dpi for good detail on most materials. Higher DPI takes more time but produces finer resolution.
- Engraving speed – Slower speed produces deeper engraving, while faster speed yields shallower results. Adjust speed based on your material and desired engraving depth.
- Laser power – For cutting, adjust laser power percentage to control cut depth on your material thickness. Perform test cuts to dial in the ideal power level. Start low and increase power gradually.
Engraving and Cutting
Once your design file is prepared and software settings are dialed in, you are ready to start engraving or cutting.
For safety, always monitor the laser engraver during operation and keep a fire extinguisher on hand. Be very cautious when operating the device unattended.
To begin the job, first open the D1 Pro’s exhaust fan and water pump. Double check that the material is properly loaded and positioned. Next, press the laser button on the engraver to active the laser beam.
In the Creative Space software, press “Play” to start the engraving or cutting process. The laser head will move across the material, following the tool path generated from your design file. The engraving table will move back and forth under the laser to progress through your design.
Most jobs take 5 to 30 minutes depending on the size, resolution, and material. Monitor the engraver throughout the process and pause or stop the job if any issues occur.
When the job is finished, turn off the laser, close the lid, and carefully remove your engraved or cut material. Avoid touching newly engraved or cut pieces with bare hands as surfaces can be sharp or brittle after laser processing.
Xtool D1 Pro 10W Safety Tips
Operating a CO2 laser engraver like the D1 Pro requires caution to prevent injury and fire. Here are some key safety tips:
- Always keep the machine’s lid down during operation. Never override the safety interlock switch.
- Be very careful when engraving or cutting reflective materials like mirrored acrylic. The reflected laser beam can cause serious eye and skin injury.
- Use the exhaust system every time you operate the laser. Smoke and fumes can be hazardous if ventilation is inadequate.
- Check beneath the engraving table before use and keep the area free of flammable items. Clean up stray bits of material regularly.
- Closely supervise the machine if running jobs unattended. Stop the laser immediately if you notice smoke or fire.
- Position the engraver so the power switch is easily accessible in case the unit must be powered down quickly.
- Only operate the laser engraver in a well-ventilated room. Laser smoke can contain toxic fumes.
Following basic precautions will help ensure safe and trouble-free operation of your Xtool D1 Pro laser. Always exercise caution and common sense when operating this powerful tool.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
While the D1 Pro is designed for reliable service, occasional issues can arise. Here are some potential problems and solutions to try:
No/weak laser output – Check that the laser tube’s cooling water is flowing properly. Low water flow can cause overheating and laser shutdown. Inspect tube connections. Refill water tank if needed. Also check laser tube power supply and tube for damage. Replace tube if defective.
Uneven laser power – The laser tube mirror may need cleaning if beam power seems to vary across its diameter. Gently clean mirror using 99% isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab.
Burn marks outside design area – This is typically caused by a dirty or smoky mirror. Carefully clean the X-axis guide rail and mirror to remove residue buildup.
Computer not recognizing engraver – Check USB cable connections and try different USB ports. Reinstall USB drivers as needed. Update computer and software to latest versions.
Noisy fan or pump – Dust buildup on fan blades can cause vibration and noise. Clean fan and pump impellers gently using compressed air. Replace bearings if worn out.
Machine lacks accuracy – Accuracy can degrade over time as guide rails become contaminated and components wear. Clean the X-axis rail and re-lubricate it periodically. Adjust or replace worn parts as needed.
Perform regular maintenance and follow operating instructions closely to get the best performance and lifespan out of your Xtool laser. But despite best efforts, problems can occasionally arise. Use the troubleshooting tips above to identify and resolve common issues. About Us!
Maintenance and Care
Like any precision equipment, the Xtool D1 Pro benefits from regular cleaning, adjustment, and maintenance:
- Keep optics clean – Use cotton swabs dampened with isopropyl alcohol to gently clean laser tube mirrors and lens when dirt is visible.
- Lubricate moving parts – Apply a light machine oil periodically to guide rails and moving components.
- Check drive belts – Inspect drive belts for proper tension. Adjust or replace belts if slipping occurs.
- Clean chassis – Wipe down exterior using a dry cloth. Remove dust from interior using compressed air.
- Empty water tank – Drain and refresh the water supply monthly to prevent algae growth.
- Monitor laser tube – Record laser tube hours and watch for degradation in power output over time as tube ages. Replace when power drops substantially.
- Firmware updates – Install software and firmware updates from Xtool to keep the engraver running optimally.
A few minutes of periodic maintenance goes a long way in keeping your laser engraver running smoothly for years of service. Maintain a log of maintenance tasks and laser tube hours for reference.
Accessories and Upgrades
One benefit of the Xtool D1 Pro is the availability of various accessories and upgrade options:
- Air assist – An air compressor attachment blows air across the material surface during cutting to reduce charring.
- Rotary attachment – Allows engraving on cylindrical items like glasses, mugs, and wine bottles.
- Camera module – Provides a live camera view in the engraving area for precise positioning.
- LED lighting – Illuminates the engraving bed for better visibility.
- Cooling system – Chiller systems can regulate laser cooling water temperature for optimal tube performance.
- Enclosure – For safety and noise reduction, the D1 Pro can be housed in third-party acrylic or metal enclosures.
- Honeycomb cutting table – Honeycomb tables offer better air flow and debris extraction compared to the solid metal engraving table.
While not mandatory, accessories can enhance certain applications like cutting, precision positioning, lighting, and safety. Expand the capabilities of your Xtool engraver over time by adding accessories that suit your needs and budget.
With its 10 watt CO2 laser and generous 40x30cm engraving area, the entry-level Xtool D1 Pro provides an affordable gateway into the world of laser engraving and cutting. Just take reasonable safety precautions, follow the setup and operating instructions, perform routine maintenance, and this versatile machine will reward you with years of creative service.
The straightforward interface and included Creative Space software make it easy to go from design to finished project quickly. With some experimentation on scrap material to dial in settings, the D1 Pro can engrave or cut a wide variety of materials with impressive quality.
Whether you are an artist, hobbyist, or business owner, the Xtool D1 Pro is an excellent laser machine for the price. With proper care and use, it can handle engraving, cutting, and marking tasks for all kinds of personal and professional projects.
Xtool D1 Pro 10W review Xtool D1 Pro 10W review Xtool D1 Pro 10W review
Spread the loveThe xtool d1 pro 40w laser engraver from … Read more
Spread the loveWhat is xTool Laser? xTool is a company … Read more
Spread the loveHow to Use xTool F1: The xTool F1 … Read more
Spread the loveThe xTool D1 Pro is an outstanding laser … Read more
Spread the loveIntroduction The XTOOL D1 Pro 10W is an … Read more